It is possible that the Kicin parish might have existed as early as XII-XIII century. The local parish priest was always the provost of the Poznań cathedral chapter, chosen by the canons. In the years 1564-574 this position was occupied by the greatest poet of Polish Renaissance, Jan Kochanowski; however, he never appeared in Kicin. Using the profits from the country estate he devoted himself to literary work – he translated the Psalter, now considered one of the greatest works of Polish literature.
The current wooden church was built on the foundations of a medieval gord, probably around the year 1749-51, funded by the Poznań bishop Józef Tadeusz Kierski, replacing the All Saints’ church that had been dismantled three years prior. It still retains its original pine wood frame. In its current form the outside of the church pleases the eye with its aesthetic shape. This single nave building, narrowing slightly towards the sanctuary, ends with a short tower. The full length of the church is 19,46 m and the width of the nave is 8,69 m. Of particular value are the four bells: “Józef”, ”Nepomucen”, “Stanisław” and “Wawrzyniec”, all cast in the year the church was hallowed.
The benches, the altars, the Rococo polychrome and the two paintings on the side altars; St. Stanislaus and St. Josef, date back to the construction of the church. The two paintings of Virgin Mary are older, XVII century – Our Lady of Gostyń (1678) on the main altar and Our Lady of snow (around 1620-30). Of particular note are also stained glass windows from 1957 by Stanisław Powalisz: Our Lady of The Gate of Dawn and Jean Paul II. Part of the church equipment consists of works of arts donated by contemporary artists from Poznań. Next to the church there is a bell tower from 1985, a sculpture of St. Josef made by the late Józef Kaliszan (a parish member and a professor of the Poznań Academy of Arts) and beside it a presbytery from the beginning of XX century, non-daubed and with pediment roof, as well as a museum of the church and the parish.
During WWII the Nazi took away the parish priest to a priests’ camp in Chludowa, where he died, while the parish buildings were converted into a labour camp and execution spot for Jews.